1152

RRR: 
1152
RRH: 
636
YEAR: 
1185
INSTITUTION RECIPIENT: 
Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem
text: 
Jan. 19. [193] Patriarch Aimery of Antioch records under seal his arbitration in a dispute between the commandery [domus] in Antioch of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem and the Hospital of St Peter in Antioch. The Hospital had lordship over a mill, situated outside the Porta Ducis between the mill belonging to [the abbey of] St Paul and the patriarch’s slaughterhouse [carcosium]. The Hospital of St Peter held a villein’s holding of 3 millstones [villania trium molarum] in the mill, from which it could take half the profits but was responsible for half the expenses. Over and above this it was bound to provide 4 canons of [the cathedral church of] St Peter with 12 modii of flour and the Hospital of St John with 12 solidi each year on the day after Christmas. The expenses of the mill had been such that the the Hospital of St Peter had failed to make necessary repairs. This led to complaints from frater Roggerius de Larunt preceptor Ospitalis S. Johannis que est Antiochie and other brothers of the Hospital of St John and demands that frater Petrus monachus S. Gildasii [et] magister Ospitalis S. Petri should shoulder the costs, which frater Petrus, coming into the patriarch’s presence, argued it could not meet. Patriarch Aimery finds for the Hospital of St John and, with the advice of his canons Aimericus thesurarius, Leonardus magister scole, Rannulfus, magister Hugo and Helyas, judges that the magister Ospitalis S. Petri should surrender the villania to frater Roggerius preceptor Ospitalis S. Johannis and that the charter granting it should be returned. Frater Roggerius should transfer 300 besants to canon Helyas, who would buy a vineyard for the Hospital of St Peter. Tithes on the mill should always be payable to the church of Antioch. Witnesses; of the canons of St Peter, Aimericus ecclesie Antiochene thesaurarius; Leonardus magister scolarum; Rannulfus; magister Hugo; Helias; of those present when the [original] charter was returned to frater Roggerius, Petrus de Baga; Petrus de Paxi; Petrus de S. Maria; Johannes incisor. The charter was drawn up by Arnaldus capellanus.

Transaction Type :

INSTITUTION NUMBER: 
322
Delaville Le Roulx vol. 1: 
665
Sources: 
Delaville Le Roulx, Cart Hosp 1:446-7, no. 665 (RRH no. 636)
Comments: 
[193] The charter is dated 1184, but should be redated to 1185, given the usual system of dating in the principality of Antioch.
2nd INSTITUTION: 
Hospital of Saint Peter in Antioch
GRANTOR: 
Patriarch Aimery of Antioch
RECEPIENT: 
commandery in Antioch of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem and the Hospital of Saint Peter in Antioch

  The Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East (SSCLE)      isf     gif    

stamp